Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Back in the Game

After a break from training due to essay work, today was the first day of any real rigorous training I've gotten in quite a while. I was feeling lethargic and sedentary. It was horrible, and likely not that great for my mind. There was about two hours of outdoor Parkour training today in the afternoon, which was good. There were things shown to me by Malcolm that I hadn't ever seen or considered before. I like that guy, even though he is very detached from the community, because he has shown real dedication as well as real creativity. He does not get boxed in. He always looks for more possibilities, and that is something that I am not sure if I myself am capable of. It's certainly refreshing.

In any case, we worked on some skills in the cold and wind with some wetness involved and worked in areas that I hadn't even really touched before, which is always nice. I am not sure if there was all that much progression in that training, but it was nice to be active again and was certainly nice to develop in unfamiliar grounds. I jogged home from Mac, which is something I don't normally do, and pushed my endurance to its limits with that. Several hours later, I went out running and then did a small conditioning routine in the comfort of my room. All-in-all, a good reintroduction to the world of fitness. I hope this can continue, as it gets colder and more difficult to maintain proper breathing.

On a largely positive note, the third coach was hired at BGs, which means that I can open up the gym to all the newcomers in Hamilton, finally. I will have to dig up that old mailing list and annoy some people. Also, Chris and I have been working on restructuring the gym format as a whole and working with Jess on that front. The first meeting took place tonight to work out those kinks. Chris leads the scene in Mississauga, and we will be converging the gym meets to include his community, the Hamilton community, and the Oakville/Burlington community, which is a GREAT thing to see happening. What we agreed on was that we will open the gym with 20 minutes of warm-up, stretching and light conditioning (with the primary focus on warming up muscle groups). There will be about an hour or an hour and ten/twenty minutes of freeplay, and then we will close with 20-30 minutes of intense conditioning and specific technical drilling. I think the first time we will be trying this format will be this Sunday, so we shall see how it goes. More on this later.

No comments: