Friday, February 29, 2008

Class - Week One

The structured gym session was tonight! The warm-up was pretty standard fanfare, though a bit extended. It's what I normally do to warm-up and I got to share it with everyone, though I think it might be too relaxed for a group warm-up setting. It's nice when I can do it on my own, because I can keep moving randomly, haphazardly, stretching and working myself up.. but with others, I need to explain each movement, which means the hold is a few seconds long and it's not really constant or continuous movement.. I'll experiment with it some more and maybe we can get it going at a faster pace. Lots of quadrupedal. In any case, this was followed by drillings of rolls, lands, and vaults for awhile, instructing when necessary on how and where to improve.

The skills set was divided into two for this session, the first half being utility of take-off and landing spaces. I didn't fully explore this one as I would have liked (incorporating rolls out of and into and the like), but I will in the future. This was just a trial run and to show that one must be vigilant in thinking about continuous movement. The second half was focused on balance and precision, first through walking along a rail, then jumping and sticking the landing, and lastly by attempting to perform squats and pistols on it. Those attempts tended to fail rather miserably, myself BARELY getting one off (requiring the removal of my Feiyues to even achieve that remote success). In terms of precision, it was really just a drilling of jumps and lands, learning to stick them. In hindsight, I should've also required some running jumps to full-stop landings... But I did include vault to precisions.

The conditioning set consisted of ham-glute raises, squats, calf-raises, toe-raises, atomic sit-ups, leg-lifts, planks, reverse crunches, and dips.. And then we played a quadrupedal version of manhunt/sharks and minnows which didn't last as long as intended because I, at the very least, was extremely tired, but I think with more people, and starting it before a conditoining set, will result in far more success and a lot more fun.

No comments: