Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Lower Body

For a few weeks now, my left leg has really been bugging me when I train. Enough of a pain that it well... hurts. Resting it doesn't seem to help so much, and after talking with Jess, we've concluded that my calves are very weak (which they are), and the impacts I've absorbed from landing on my toes has overstressed my calves, as my body simply isn't used to that kind of punishment. The answer, of course, is to dedicate much more of my energy to conditioning my lower body. The experiment consists of hours upon hours of calf and shin training, which is really going to bug the crap out of me, since it can be really boring, and I was told it was in my best interest to not apply any extra weight for a week or two. I'll follow Jess's advice, because I trust her knowledge in kinesiology. I believe it's my pereonaus longus that's been injured, which is the outer lateral side of the calf muscles. From Sunday, my calves are already in a state of soreness, so I think two days rest will be good before beginning on it again. However, I'll do what I can for the muscles which aren't quite so sore.

At the same time, I'm struggling to reclaim my cardiovascular abilities after quitting smoking again. The process is a long one, because the difference between an able body and a smoking body is quite large. The cost of smoking on my body and on my training was too high to keep up, and this is a moment of decisiveness. I present myself as determined today, but I'm not sure how determined I will stay, because cardiovascular training is the most boring and most frustrating work for me. I will push it little by little, not in huge chunks. And I will find enjoyable ways of increasing my endurance. Let's hope it all works!

To all, happy training and many great gains.

No comments: