Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Sunday Sessions' Downfall

This consists of two posts: the first is a rant about what has become of the Sunday gym sessions, and the second is what I actually did at the gym tonight.

---

This is basically jsut a rant, but I don't want to post it up on PKTO.. I went to Sunday's gym meet in Burlington tonight, which I haven't gone to in weeks partly because of trickers invading the place and partyl because of my own reasons.. I was pretty much disgusted by what I saw there. It wasn't about Parkour, it wasn't even freerunning or tricking (well, the trickers did tricking).. Those who came for "Parkour/freerunning" did what I could only describe to you as stunts. The four original traceurs of Hamilton other than myself went straight to the trampoline to goof off. Okay, that's their right, and I know they know what Parkour is... Then there was a group I didn't recognize at all. They set up a huge block (about 5.5 feet up) and began to vault over it. Well, they couldn't make it, so they set up a springboard. After watching this for a while, I pulled aside one of the guys I did recognize, one of the guys who regularly attends the Thursdays with me, and I asked him, "Neil, do you think your shin muscles are strong enough to take that? I mean, I know that guy's aren't, but I know you can tell me about you. Are you strong enough?"

"For the drop...?" "Yeah.." "Uh.. Probably not. I have really weak legs." "Then why are you doing it?" "I'll go put a mat down." "..."

Okay, whatever.. I wasn't going to nag them because I know where that leads. So I did my own thing, watching them occasionally.. I wondered what Neil was getting out of it.. a person who considers himself a traceur.. How does a springboard help you outside? What was the purpose of this for him? Well, the springboard made it so that they could get over it with ease, so they stacked it up higher. The vault was now around 7 feet high.. Too high for the springboard.. What did they do? They used a mini-tramp instead. Oh, but the mat that was placed down to protect them from the impact suddenly wasn't enough.. so they stacked another mat on top of that. When the kongs got too easy, they decided to just jump, flip, handspring, etc. over it, and then moved the minitramp further and furhter away just to "test their limits." It.. destroyed my hope for this scene.

It wasn't until, an hour and a half in, that I set up a circuit that I saw anyone doing anything that could've been useful outdoors. It was mostly just, "Look at me, look at what I can do, and look at how high/far/stupid I can jump." This was really disheartening that it degraded into that.

---

Today, I went to the gym. I went in with the goal of completing 15 muscle-ups throughout the course of the two hours. Though copious breaks had to be taken, I did complete the 15. I did a variety of exercises here and there, though I spent a lot of time just watching the evolution of the Sunday sessions. Towards the end, I set up a quick circuit which consisted of a short run into a vault, QMing across a mat, rolling off the mat, and executing another vault. After running this a few times, as quickly as possible, I separated the two blocks of the last vault and had a precision jump at the end. Upon occasion, I would execute a reverse on landing the precision, or would immediately hop off and roll.

Later, I pulled up another mat and doubled the distance of the QMing. After a few runs of this, I ran the circuit backwards. Unsatisfied with this, I decided to do the entire thing backwards in QM. I ran up to the first short block QM-style, vaulted it, landed and vaulted the next block, QM'd across the mats, and did a frog-leap up to the stacked blocks that I used to vault before, landing on all fours and executing the reverse-descent and QM-ran to the starting point. This was the most taxing variation of the circuit, and I had no choice but to collapse and rest after this (and the several run-throughs beforehand).

All in all, this was the best part of the night, running these circuits. And I'm rather proud of myself for completing the 15 MUs, even if they were chinsy MUs.

No comments: